25 June 2010

Remember When: Wedding Plans and 27 Stray Cats

Remember when they asked us to make our own wedding details in school?

Not sure if it was in elementary or high school but I clearly remember I wrote the details on a yellow pad and that my groom was Dave Moffatt (the drummer of the The Moffatts, circa 90's. Kadiri, I know! What was I thinking?).

I was just thinking about a conversation I had with my best friend regarding long-term relationships way back. When I was in high school, I wanted to be a single mom and I pictured myself to be a career woman as well. How to have a baby on my own wasn't really an issue at that time since it was just a plan during my teenage years.

My, how my way of thinking have changed through the years. After I graduated from college, all I thought about was getting a good job, saving, traveling, and settle down when I'm 24 (24 to 26 to give myself time to get to know the person I'm going to spend the rest of my life with). But in a country like ours, it is impossible to save much and with the lifestyle I have, it is also impossible for me to settle down when I'm 24 (or 25 or 26) - that is my quota by the way.

Yes, I planned to get hitched when I'm 24 and latest would be when I'm 26.

My reason: the best/smartest/most bibo babies are born when a woman is in her mid-20's (I think this is a scientific fact but I'm too lazy to research). And then, I decided to quit my job, try on new things and maximize my independence. These series of events changed my view on things.
  • 24 is too early to get hitched. I'm actually turning 24 this August and I don't want a mail-order groom for that matter.
  • This is the 21st century, so I can still have a that bibo baby however way I want to - adoption, in vitro, sperm bank, surrogate, one night stand (I kid!).
  • I'm not yet ready to have a baby and at the rate that I'm living now, I can't afford a nanny (not even feeding bottles or hospital bills). I'm still kind of selfish.
  • I still have to find my groom so I can have someone with me during the baby drama.
  • I want my best friend, Lark, and my fab friend, Keket, to plan my wedding. I want MangoRed for photographers, by the way!
One thing remains, I don't want to grow old alone (or with 27 cats). I'm still young, no rush!

1 comment: