Everytime someone asks me what I do for a living I find it hard to make them understand what Public Relations is. Trust me, I get funny responses sometimes like:
Person: So what do you do for a living?
M: I'm in the PR industry.
P: Oh, so you're a permanent resident (of Singapore).
Another one would be:
P: You're in PR, like Advertising!
M: *shouting in my head* For crying out loud PR is not and it's never Advertising. Understand???
I guess this will explain what I do better.
I'm actually like a prostitute...
So what's it really like working in the PR industry? (Shared by my colleague, who's also like a prostitute)
- Our ‘customers’ are called clients... like prostitutes
- We work in weird shifts... like prostitutes
- They pay you to make the client happy... like a prostitute
- The client pays a lot of money, but your employer keeps almost every penny... like a prostitute
- You are rewarded for fulfilling the client's dreams... like a prostitute
- Your friends fall apart and you end up hanging out with people in the same industry as you... like a prostitute
- When you meet the client you always have to be perfectly groomed... like a prostitute
- But when you go back home it seems like you are coming back from hell... like a prostitute
- The client always wants to pay less but expects incredible things from you... like a prostitute
- When people ask you about your job, you have difficulties to explain it... like a prostitute
- Everyday when you wake up, you say: I'M NOT GOING TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE DOING THIS"..... OH just like a prostitute
The only difference is the prostitutes can take Christmas and New Year's Eve off and they actually DO make a lot of money!!!
Yes, that's me... just like a prostitute