01 June 2010

Look What I Found: Manhattanhenge

New York is definitely one of the places I have to visit before I die.

A friend recently went there and I bullied him to get me an "I NY" shirt and a nice Lady Liberty key chain. ;-)

So anyway, I was watching CSI New York (FAN!) and part of the episode is Manhattanhenge. The story was about compass killer, a serial killer who left a piece of compass in the murder scene indicating the location of the body. He also follows a particular schedule. He already went on a killing spree in the North, South, and East of New York and the last was supposed to be a suicide in the West on a date of a Manhattanhenge.

Well, his suicide was apprehended and here's a photo of the Manhattanhenge from Wiki:

Manhattanhenge (sometimes referred to as the Manhattan Solstice) is a semiannual occurrence in which the setting sun aligns with the east–west streets of the main street grid in the borough of Manhattan  in New York City.

The dates of Manhattanhenge are usually May 28 and July 12 or July 13 (spaced evenly around Summer Solstice). The two corresponding mornings of sunrise right on the center lines of the Manhattan grid are approximately December 5 and January 8 (spaced evenly around Winter Solstice).


Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattanhenge

No comments:

Post a Comment