10 January 2012

Meet Scarlet

This is bad... really bad... very, very bad.

I am not an impulse buyer. I am actually a very frugal person. I'm an Ilocano for crying out loud, being kuripot is in my blood.

I do budget my money strictly because living far away from home in a foreign land is hard. You don't have easy access to your parents who can lend you money in times of crisis or when you start to feel the need to change your name to Purita Mirasol.

But then, when huge corporations entice you with shiny, new things... you can't seem to look away. I wish it was a diamond but that, I will have someone to buy for me some day.

I am talking about this...

My dear friend / office mate / influencer, Hyacie, let me in on a little secret --- a one-day Apple online store sale. So, I happily typed away the link to the website and started browsing for things to buy because that is what you do on a Friday morning at work. Like a boss! 

I recently gave up my iPod, a first gen iPod Touch, I bought with my first 13th month pay in 2007. I was planning to buy an iPhone but lo and behold, I couldn't afford it. As I was clicking away and browsing, I convinced myself to get an new one. A post Christmas gift for myself for surviving another year of independent living. Plus, I've been lonely and missing my old one. And when it's quiet, thoughts suddenly pop up in my brain finding the opportunity to mess my mind --- which is not good for my friends because I will whine to them relentlessly.

I chose a special edition iPod Nano called (PRODUCT) RED. A portion of the cost will go to the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa. I'm a sucker for relevant causes like this and I believe in people making the world a better place. It also came with free engraving! I had a hard time deciding on what to put but in the end I decided to put my the phrase la bella vita (the beautiful life) and my nickname.

It arrived in the middle of a busy, manic Monday morning and became the highlight of my day. It made me so happy and giddy. It came to a point when I had to stop and asked myself... "am I turning into a greedy, materialistic person?". And then I nudge the thought off. I hold the key to my happiness, so screw it! I have a shiny, new toy! And then I'm happy again.

I'm very easy to please, just make sure you have good intentions.

And by the way, meet Scarlet. To keep up with my tradition of naming my gadgets.

TRIVIA: Miko's gadgets' names
  • iPod with no name - iPod Touch (2007)
  • Bella - white MacBook (2009)
  • Lewi - white office MacBook (2010)
  • Luna - white Lumix LX5 (2010) 
  • Snow - white BlackBerry Bold 9780 (2011)
  • Silver - new office MacBook (2011)
  • Scarlet - iPod Nano (2012)
xoxo,
Miko

1 comment:

  1. Gusto ko rin ng ganito - for exercise. hehe as if. :) but yeah, i also want.

    ReplyDelete