29 August 2010

I love you, I hate you Philippines

I admit I have a love-hate relationship towards my country and being a Filipino. I am not all nationalistic or patriotic but I'm a full-blooded Filipino.

I'm writing this because of what happened last Monday, 23rd of August, in Manila. The hostage taking of a bus load of tourists from Hong Kong which left eight dead made headlines - not the headlines we'd like to be in.

I was at work during that time so I get my updates via Twitter. It was really shocking knowing it already made its way to CNN and all other international news channels. More so disheartening when I watched the news that night.

To be honest, I am ashamed right now, how it was handled was inexplicable. I'm also embarrassed of being a Filipino in a foreign country. I am no police officer or military but I believe it could have been handled differently. I'm not preaching because I know no one wants to be told how their work should be done (and clearly, I'm not a police or military officer for that matter). But it's plain common sense that in critical situations like these, we must learn how to think, assess, calculate our actions and listen.

Hong Kong announced a travel advisory and put Philippines on their black list shortly after. We can't blame them, they are just looking after the security of their people.

The event has badly damaged the country's image (as if it isn't tarnished already). Hearing how Filipinos in other parts of the world are being treated after what happened, I can't help but feel helpless. These things happen all over the world and not just in our country but this time the spotlight's on us. Let's just hope and pray that this doesn't happen again - typing this phrase is like shooting for the moon, but what the hell anyone can hope right?

No comments:

Post a Comment